15 January 2010

Book Review of the Week: Forever Amber


Just before Christmas I began reading Forever Amber by Kathleen Winsor, a novel set during the reign of King George II (around the 1660's). The novel was written in 1944 and sold over 100,000 copies during the first week of its release! Quite impressive! It is one of the original historical fiction/romance novels, and inspired many later works.

The story is one of a young woman, Amber, who comes to live in London. She begins her journey as an innocent girl of 17 who grew up in the country. As she becomes adjusted to the life of London and eventually of the courts of George II, she slowly loses her innocence and strives to become as rich and powerful as possible...no matter who she hurts along the way. Each chain of events in the story is set off by a handsome nobleman, Bruce, who Amber is desperately in love with and therefore is constantly trying to impress. Will her climb through society all be for naught?

My favorite aspects of this novel: Although the story is quite long (approximately 1000 pages), the plot is fast moving and packed with period detail. It is evident that this book was very well researched, which I really enjoyed. I felt like I was learning the whole time I was reading.

Also, I really liked the fact that Amber is a very human character, she makes mistakes, she can be jealous, vain, and over confident at times, but it made me love her character even more.

My least favorite aspect of the book: There was originally a sequel planned for this book, and it is evident that this book was written in anticipation of that sequel. Yet, Kathleen Winsor never wrote it, so I felt as if there was no closure even I finished reading Forever Amber.

My Rating: ****

1 comment: