05 January 2010

Today's Flowers: Princesse de Lamballe


I just finished listing my newest creations on Etsy! All three of them were inspired by paintings of the lovely Princesse de Lamballe, also known as Princess Marie Louise of Savoy.

At the age of eighteen she married the wealthy Louis Alexandre de Bourbon (Prince de Lamballe), yet their marriage lasted only a year due to his untimely death. After the death of her husband, Marie Louise, a widow at only nineteen, returned to the court of Marie Antoinette where she became one of the queen's confidantes and was present at all of the important events. It was at one of these events that she met the Dauphin of France. He was immediately smitten with her, and lavished attention upon her. Sadly, due to her connections with the royal family, she was killed during the Revolution by an angry mob after she refused to swear to hate the King and Queen.

The flowers I created were inspired by two different paintings of her; the painting at the beginning of this post, which was painted in 1780 by Antoine François Callet and the painting directly below: Marie-Thérèse Louise de Savoie-Carignan, Princesse de Lamballe by Jean-Laurent Mosnier.

I found the flowers that I created using the colors from the Mosnier painting to be very vibrant and fun! The flower inspired by the Callet painting is more reserved, regal, and elegant. Check them out at: http://www.etsy.com/shop/RococoFleurs

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. I arrived to your blog via Marie Antoinette's gossip guide. I loved it! Congratulations for your new blog, keep it going!

    Love.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Anabel! I have every intention of keeping my blog going and adding new sections such as featuring other etsy sellers and book reviews.

    ReplyDelete