03 January 2010

Introduction (inspiration)

I have always been interested in history and will be receiving a minor in Art History, but this year I have come across a time period that has particularly captured my attention. The 17th-18th centuries in England and France, otherwise known as the Georgian and Rococo periods respectively have provided me with inspiration for my recent paintings and for my new etsy shop: RococoFleurs.

My fascination with this period began with some of the modern popular culture surrounding it. Specifically, it was perked when I started reading The Weaker Vessel by Antonia Fraser and grew as I read Karleen Koen's amazingly well written series: Through A Glass Darkly, Now Face to Face, and Dark Angels. I gained new insight into the period as well as a few different book suggestions while following the popular blog: georgianaduchessofdevonshire.blogspot.com

While studying Rococo and Georgian paintings to complete a series focusing on women's lives and rights during the eras, I fell in love with the colors the paintings were composed of, especially the colors used in the fashions of the time. These colors inspired me to create fabric flowers composed of the same colors as the gowns the women were wearing in the portraits. This eventually led to me opening a new Etsy shop (my old one being DesignsbyDannie) featuring these creations.

Below are a few of the paintings I created this past fall that inspired my new hobby and exploration of the Rococo Era through the lives of the women who experienced it:



No comments:

Post a Comment